Well done to all of you so far – keep going! The Committee hope you continue to enjoy your travels around the Mediterranean Sea.
Below is the Regional Leaderboard in order for you to keep track of how well your teams are stepping-up to the Challenge.
This Leaderboard will be updated every 5 minutes.
In the meantime, did you know? …
- The only independent nations in the Mediterranean are Malta and Cyprus
- The Maltese love fireworks and Malta holds the Guinness World Record for the largest Catherine Wheel
- Sicily is the largest Mediterranean Island with an area of 9,927 square miles
- The 10 largest Greek Islands in the Med are: Crete, Euboea, Lesbos, Rhodes, Chios, Corfu, Lemnos, Samos, Naxos and Zakynthos
- Eight different species of Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises can be found in the Mediterranean
- The Mediterranean Sea is home to over 700 varieties of fish and almost 10 per cent of the World’s Marine Species
- Rome is the birthplace of the Shopping Mall – the first was built between 107 and 110 AD, known as Trajan’s Market with more than 150 outlets
- In 1830, Antica Pizzeria Port’Alba in Naples is believed to be the world’s first pizzeria to open
- Malaga, Spain was built by the Phoenicians in the 7th and 8th Centuries B.C., making it one of the oldest cities in the world
- The Romans thought the sea was, literally, the middle of the earth. They first called it ‘Mediterraneus’ – Latin for “middle of the earth”
Have fun along the way.